Monday 5 September 2011

Long Week

So after having a long weekend off work, I am now having a loooooong week in work. By long week I mean 11 days in a row.

A nasty viral infection seems to be sweeping its way through the team. This means lots of people taking days off. This also means that there was no junior to cover the weekend on the ward with the registrar, so I got to do it. Although I'm now exhausted after spending 26 hrs of my weekend in the hospital, it was actually a good thing for a few reasons:

1. I learnt LOTS over the weekend. I clerked and reviewed so many patients that my history and examination skills were really brought up to scratch and the registrar was so helpful. He really encouraged me to formulate management plans and after being so heavily involved in the acute care of so many children I feel so much more confident in making a management plan.


2. I got some bits for ePortfolio done.


3. I will have some more pennies at the end of the month so I'll be able to afford the 3 new tyres my car needs.


I was lucky that although we saw a lot of patients we chose not to admit, the ward itself wasn't as busy as it could have been. I was also very glad that I was working with a very supportive registrar who is always there to answer any questions and was happy to review any patients I was unsure of.


One of the things I'm enjoying so much about the team I'm with now is that the consultants change weekly and the registrars rotate. Some people find it irritating but I find it really helpful to see different consultants management techniques and the decisions they make. I also like the changes of registrars as they all have different tips for practical skills and I need as many tips as I can get.


The only bad thing about working so many days in a row, especially after such a busy weekend is that along with being completely shattered I am really grumpy. Normally I have quite a high tolerance level for all of life's little niggles, but not today. My advice, don't mess with the Sunshine until this weekend when I've caught up on my rest.


Dr Sunshine xXx

No comments:

Post a Comment